As your doula, I can work with you on payment arrangements. But here are some other tips on affording your valuable doula care.
- Ask your family. Sometimes family members will contribute to the cost of your doula. Teach them what a doula is, what she does, and how valuable she is in making your birth easier.
- Baby shower gift. In your wish list for your baby shower, state that you want to hire a doula and ask guests to bring in a small gift of money to put toward the cost.
- Save, save, save! Put away a little money each week. If you hire your doula early in your pregnancy, you can put away a little money each week and have the full amount by your due date.
- Talk with your doula. Payment arrangements can be made, but you must communicate any difficulty in payment to your doula as early as possible.
- FSA, HSA. If you have a Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account, you can use that to pay your doula! Insurance reimbursements are also a possibility. It is up to you to call your insurance and find out their specific requirements for doula reimbursement.