The word 'doula' comes from the Greek word meaning 'female helper'. The doula is a labor coach/birth assistant who provides continuous support to the birthing mother and her partner before, during, and immediately after labor. She stays with the mother and her partner, utilizing comfort measures (breathing, movement, massage, positioning, etc.) that will be discussed during the prenatal period. This enables the mother to focus on birthing her baby and the partner can focus on supporting the mother and enjoying the bonding experience.
The benefits of having a doula:
- less stress and anxiety during labor
- decreased rate of Caesarian section
- decreased rate of epidurals
- shorter labor time
- less need for pain medication or pitocin
- more satisfaction with the overall birth experience
Visit my training organization to learn more about how you can become a doula and change the lives of woman in your community!
Birth Arts International, Demetria Clark, Director